Thursday, February 28, 2008

Happy little star-shaped leaflets... and the "C" word

At Mom's this afternoon I spotted a number of gray-green star-shaped leaflets peeking up through the mulch. The bluebonnets are getting ready! (For those of you unfamiliar with bluebonnets, they are the state flower of Texas.)

Mom said she had the most luck getting them to germinate when she just pitched the dead refuse of spent bluebonnets on top of the mulch and left them. They seem to like being left alone; disturbed soil equals no germination.

Today was the first time I've been back to Mom & Dad's since I broke out with shingles and had to quarantine myself. The lesions are completely gone from my scalp, although the stinging and itching does linger.

It's also the first time I've seen Daddy since he broke the news to me that he has incurable bone cancer (multiple myeloma).

This afternoon I told him that he could have as much of my bone marrow as he needed. Y'all pray I'm a match, so that if the time comes, I can step up and help.

Tomorrow he's having a bone scan to try to determine the extent of the cancer's progression.

No comments: