Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Protein, protein, protein

When I met with the dietitian a couple of days ago, we agreed that one of the main deficiencies in my diet is protein. Since that is probably the hardest thing for me to consume, she had several suggestions for dietary protein as well as supplemental protein sources.

I have tried many, many, many of the protein powders and I find every single one of them to be utterly vile. A couple of months ago I bought a small packet of unflavored whey protein in hopes that, in the ten years since I regularly consumed such products, technology would've improved the stuff.

And I guess, in a small way, it has. At least now you can buy it UNflavored so you can mix it with something else. Back in the day you could only get chocolate or vanilla. Both were undrinkable.

I have, however, found one product that I can sort of almost tolerate: Isopure.

It's clear and fruit-flavored instead of thick and pasty. It's also better for me, I hear, because it is "Zero-Carb" and has no sugar. It's very lightly sweetened with sucralose (Splenda), which is nasty. I don't like any of the artificial sweeteners at all; not one of them tastes remotely as good as the real thing. But it's better than nothing at all, and it's clear, so it generally goes down without a fight when I try to drink it.

What I don't understand is how they managed to come up with a protein that completely dissolves in liquid and is transparent.

Nevertheless, I'm grateful for it, I guess. I'm none too happy with the exorbitant COST of said supplements. Sheesh.

No comments: