Thursday, November 29, 2007

This year's Door Decorating Contest

It was announced today -- they've never had one before, but this year Ballyhoo Hi-Skool is having a Christmas door decorating contest.

I had such good results from the one last year at North Ruralville that I'm going to go the Christmas-Card route again. In fact, I'm even going back to TriSanta.com to use one of the Surfin' Santa cards as the basis for my door. But in general, I can highly recommend the notion of using a Christmas card you like as a stepping-stone to an idea. I've never actually been good at original composition. No, I'm just a pretty decent cover band that is also pretty good at hiding her sources! But there's no use keeping a good idea to myself when so many could benefit from it.

Christmas cards. Get one you like, preferably one that's oriented in the portrait-direction rather than the landscape-direction, print it out onto an overhead cel, project it onto a larger piece of paper at the size it needs to be, trace around the basic outlines, then add fabric or lightweight polyfill or even shiny giftwrap cut into the necessary shapes. It's not a no-brainer, but it certainly takes the guesswork out of coming up with something to do.

I took down the other door decoration today, the one I've had up since the beginning. It was beginning to get a bit shabby anyway, so it was time.

Here we go again!

And I swear, my Google hits from last year's post are OUT THE ROOF. Last I checked, if you Google "Christmas door decorating contest," my blog comes up FIRST.

Just goes to show that you never know.

No comments: