Saturday, October 06, 2007

I pledge allegiance

Texas is a very interesting place. Did you know that, along with the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag, we also pledge our allegiance to Texas?

It's true. Every morning, at the beginning of 2nd period, we recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.


And then we hold out our right hands, palms up, and pledge to the Texas flag:

Honor the Texas flag. I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.


And then we pause for a Moment of Silence.

Every day.

Do other states pledge allegiance to their own state flag? I know that Iowa didn't, or at least they didn't in Des Moines. They did do the pledge to the US flag every other day, I think, but that's about it. Here, it seems to be a mandate; they did it exactly the same way over in North Ruralville last year.

I didn't have any flags in my room at the beginning of the year, and it felt weird to say the pledges to the air, so I made nice posters with the flags painted on them and the words to the pledges (remembering how lost I felt last year not knowing the Texas pledge and standing mutely, feeling idiotic, until I learned it).

No comments: