Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dumplings for supper

We had steamed dumplings again for supper tonight. The whole family raves about them and how good they are. Here's what I put in them this time:

1 small can sliced water chestnuts -- finely diced
2 bunches cilantro -- finely chopped
1 bunch green onion -- finely chopped
5 large cloves garlic -- freshly minced
4 T beni shoga (sweet red pickled ginger strips) -- finely chopped
1/4 c sesame oil
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c sesame seeds
1 lb. ground meat (I used beef)
1 pkg small wonton wrappers (not the giant ones used for spring rolls)

I ended up using all the wonton wrappers before I had run out of meat mixture, so I cooked the remaining meat mixture for myself (since I don't always do so well eating pasta-ish or dough-ish food).

The kids lit into them like they were candy. I invited JoeMama to stop by and share them, too, and she liked them. Rick dropped everything to go to the store today to buy ground beef because I hinted I might make them.

They're quite popular, I suppose! And I'm getting the hang of using the bamboo steamer. It's a nifty little invention.

No comments: