Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Coconut-curry beef, take one

My first attempt to recreate the beef dish I had last week in DC bore absolutely no resemblance to the original. That's not to say it wasn't tasty. It most assuredly WAS tasty. Here's what I did:

I cubed a very small beef shoulder roast (2-3 lbs) and dredged the pieces in flour seasoned with hot curry powder. Then I sauteed the beef in some olive oil and hot curry paste until it was browned. After this, I poured in two cans of coconut milk, brought it to a boil, then turned the heat to low and simmered it for about an hour. With a bit of salt and pepper, I then spooned some of the beef & sauce onto white rice.

It resembled chicken-fried steak & cream gravy, but with spicy curry as the flavor.

Not even close to what I ate at the Burmese restaurant, but it was GOOD. The beef was melty-tender and the gravy had that back-door heat that keeps you coming back for more.

I will try again next week to approximate the original inspiration dish. I won't dredge it in flour and I won't be using olive oil... those two items completely detracted from my purposes and changed the taste dramatically.

Tomorrow I plan to attempt the Chinese dumplings, and I'll get the kiddos to help me.

No comments: