Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Road trip redux, Day IV

Sorry this post is so late. It's been a very busy, busy day and I'm just about as tired as I can be.

And yes, our apartment/cabin/whatever you call it has wi-fi. We're staying just outside the park on the Montana side, in West Yellowstone. Pop picked this place out on the internet, and we all think he did GREAT. It's very new and clean, with lots of amenities.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This morning we woke up and got on the road bright 'n early. First thing we saw when we rounded the bend around the hills north of Jackson:



Yep, it's the Grand Tetons, shrouded in storm clouds. Pop informed us of the origin of the name, so now Martha calls them the Inappropriate Mountains.

When we entered Yellowstone National Park, we were greeted by thousands upon thousands of gray, dead tree trunks poking up through lush young trees. These were left behind by the 1988 fires. I think I was rather surprised they were all still so visible after 24 years, yanno?



We stopped at Old Faithful on the way around from the South Entrance to the West Entrance:







Thar she blows!!

Here we're having a nice picnic lunch somewhere along the route toward West Yellowstone:



The kids worked out a lot of their wigglies:





Next, we visited one of the many geyser-type steam vent areas:



Buffalo!!




"Oh, you can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd..."

Here's our lodging for the next couple of nights:



We got to see the Upper and the Lower Falls:



And a whole bunch of animules (buffalo, moose, rabbit, etc.):



And there's total Sprint coverage here in West Yellowstone... so I can get the text messages I've been missing the past several days. I just won't be able to check it while we're in the park.

The kids and I are heading back on Thursday morning early so that we can get back in time to get Alice ready to go to camp on Sunday morning.

And now I'm so tired I'm practically hallucinating. Go visit the Picasa site for the latest uploads.

No comments: