Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Last day


George's house... at least for a little while longer. There were beaucoup motorcades whizzing by today, so he probably waved at me out the window of his limo and I never even knew it.


Spent most of the day on the National Mall, where the Smithsonian had sponsored a Folk Life Festival. Fun! But it was sooooo hot, I didn't want to spend much time out there at the festival. The museums which surround the entire mall, now THAT was where the coolness awaited. Literally, of course, but also because that's where plenty of nifty stuff is housed. Stuff like the Hope Diamond:

Whadda rock!!


Not to mention T-Rex himself...


The *original* George's duds.


And a beloved prop from a beloved (if rabidly left-wing) television program from the 70s.


The original Lindbergh plane.


The Museum of the American Indian. I didn't go in because I had a few other things on my agenda, but it's one of the numbers of things in this town that I'd like to do if I had more time.


The deeply moving Vietnam Memorial. Not a typical monument-y kind of place, but very effective nonetheless, and fitting, I think.


I ate Russian food for lunch (rabbit meat cooked in some sort of sour cream sauce), and Chinese food for supper.

Early tomorrow morning I'll be flying back, and hopefully I'll get a chance to put my feet up and REST from my vacation. I don't think I've done this much walking in a really, really long time.

No comments: