Friday, April 13, 2007

Album Review Time













I've been good for a long time... honest. But I just couldn't keep myself from hitting iTunes for the new Bruce Hornsby/Ricky Skaggs eponymous collaboration album. And I'm not one bit disappointed, believe it or not. Fantastic, funny and fresh -- unexpected and a delight to listen to.

My faithful readers will know that I am a huge fan of Mr. Hornsby's skill and artistry on the piano. I bought the album with just the slightest trepidation, believing that having his piano skilz commingled with something like bluegrass (which I like in small doses) would lessen my enjoyment of the purchase.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Ricky Skaggs' musical genius is actually not unlike Hornsby's, albeit coming from different directions. The two together are stunningly cool.

Some might be a bit "freaked out" to know that they do a bluegrass rendition of "Super Freak" by Rick James, but I'm here to tell you that it works. Not sure why, but it's hilarious and wonderful. There's even a bit of a cameo appearance by John Anderson (remembered mostly for "Swingin'") on it.

My favorites are the re-working of "Mandolin Rain" which is just hauntingly beautiful, and "Crown of Jewels" which just will NOT get out of my head.

It's an amazing hybrid, one that I will keep listening to for a very long time.

No comments: