Friday, November 24, 2006

Did you know...

Did you know that there's a Muslim Cemetery on Highway 380 west of Denton? I didn't... not until today, anyway.

I was on my way to Decatur to have lunch at Braum's with a couple of dear friends (about whom I'll blog next) when I drove by this:



Of course, you know this meant that I had to stop and check it out for myself. I turned north onto the road beside the cemetery and drove to the entrance:



And I noticed that there was a sign next to the gate:



If it's too hard to read, here's a transcription for you:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful

MUSLIM CEMETERY, INC.

Rules Of Cemetery

1. Islamic laws govern all matters concerning this cemetery.
2. Only a Muslim male, female or child is allowed to be buried at this cemetery.
3. The deceased or family has only interment rights to be buried, but they don't own any part of this cemetery.
4. Family of deceased agrees to abide by all rules issued by the board of directors of this cemetery.
5. Visitors must respect privacy of occupants of the graves, avoid making noises or walking on top of graves.
6. No monument or other memorial tree, or plant of any kind shall be placed on any grave.
7. Walking, standing or sitting on top of graves is prohibited.
8. Tanned leather footwear is prohibited, only shoes made of synthetic materials can be worn among graves.
9. Burial at this cemetery is forbidden at these times: during sunrise, during sunset, at high noon, at night.
10. No Muslim is buried at this cemetery without being bathed and prayed for.


The car-sized gate was locked, but I could've gone through this little turnstile and visited the "occupants" if I'd wished, but I figured it would be better if I didn't.



Just thought you'd find it as interesting as I did. Not that folks don't get to have their own cemeteries or anything... but it's just not every day a yokel like me comes across something like this.

No comments: