Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Meth will destroy you

This is Rebekah. She's in the Polk County Jail in Des Moines, Iowa. Rebekah is 26 years old and has been destroyed by drugs.

Several years back, a number of my friends and I tried to help her extricate herself from the drug culture and lifestyle. She managed to stay clean for a time, although it wasn't long. Once she disappeared and we went hunting for her, staking out drug houses and finally catching her to get her into rehab for the umpteenth time. (Don't try this, by the way. Take my word for it. It's one of the few times in my life that I sensed I was in dire personal danger.)

It didn't work.

Tonight I just happened to be checking the Inmates On The Web list from the state of Iowa (truth? I was checking to see if any of my former students were in trouble there) and saw Rebekah's picture. She got popped for probation violation. I don't know if she'll be there long or if she's headed for long-term lockup, but I will say that, for her sake, I hope she's done something that will put her away for a very, very long time. It's her only chance.

Rebekah's brother Martin is serving a life sentence for murdering his roommate in 1990. In November 2005 he and another inmate managed to escape from the Iowa State Penitentiary and remained fugitives for three days before being recaptured.

Rebekah frankly needs the constant supervision afforded to her by incarceration, and I hope for her sake she gets to stay there for a long time. If she doesn't get to stay, I'll be shocked if she's still alive at thirty.

No comments: