Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'd like to have my rotary back...


In Canton, Ohio: Widow rented rotary phone for 42 years

A widow rented a rotary dial telephone for 42 years, paying what her family calculates as more than $14,000 for a now outdated phone.

Ester Strogen, 82, of Canton, first leased two black rotary phones - the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger - in the 1960s. Back then, the technology was new and owning telephones was unaffordable for most people.

Until two months ago, Strogen was still paying AT&T to use the phones - $29.10 a month. Strogen's granddaughters, Melissa Howell and Barb Gordon, ended the arrangement when they discovered the bills.

"I'm outraged," Gordon said. "It made me so mad. It's ridiculous. If my own grandmother was doing it, how many other people are?"

...

Strogen says she's not a big fan of her new push-button phone.
"I'd like to have my rotary back," she said. "I like that better."


Meddling kids.

No comments: