Monday, September 11, 2006

Fashion memories




Saw this at Manolo's place; the Super-Fantastic one himself was pointing out that this woman has a white shoe on her head and it's AFTER Labor Day.

Me? I noticed the patchwork dress. You see, when I was in the third grade, my great-grandmother, Johnnie Young, made a pair of pants for me out of patchwork blocks that she had. The blocks were doubleknit polyester, sewn together and then fashioned into elastic-waist pants. The polyester was tough, which was good, since I was pretty rough on the knees of pants. I wore the knees out of these pants several times, but Grandma Johnnie just removed the torn patches and replaced them. I grew, but the pants were still my favorites, so she added rows at the hem and across the seat so I could continue to wear them.

I don't know what happened to them, but I think that if I could go back in time to bring back one item from my childhood, it would probably be those pants... or the Grandma who made them for me. She was a very, very cool person and I miss her very much.

No comments: