Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's a different world

Today was the first teacher in-service day here in North Ruralville... and I am definitely in a different world.

The superintendent spoke several times of God. The noontime meal was prayed-over with a distinctly evangelical invocation by a staff member.

I sat with a couple of my colleagues, and another teacher joined us. He was a rather grating individual and made at least two comments about one of my colleagues' figure... ewww! In Des Moines, that man would've been fired YESTERDAY. Gag!

Lunch was a sumptuous feast of barbecued brisket and smoked sausage, and a smorgasbord of Sam's Club desserts (cheesecake, carrot cake, etc).

The meetings were brief (when compared with the incessant snooze-fests at the last high school) and then we were dismissed to work in our rooms. Work in our rooms! Actual, practical time to work in our rooms! Who ever heard of such?

But I can't teach the novel Speak. It's too controversial.

[rolling my eyes]

No comments: