Sunday, August 27, 2006

Dress Code Crackdown

Looks like I'm not the only one who notices the stringent dress code issues... 128 students in Hammond, Indiana got suspended on the first day of school for dress code violations.

I always thought it was rather idiotic at my previous high school job, because they claimed that saggy pants and other sorts of ridiculous attire were prohibited -- but no-one was ever sent home that I know of. Sagging was the norm, and the only time anyone was ever spoken-to about it was if their long baggy white t-shirt didn't quite cover their boxer shorts. Once, one of my male students came to me to ask if I had anything he could use to tie up his pants because his belt had broken. All I had was green yarn, so that's what he used.

I don't understand why gangland folks would want to wear such cumbersome clothing... it was always quite humorous to see a young man trying to run down a hall while holding up his pants, and I can't imagine that anyone would be able to run from the cops in such attire.

I only hope that some day there will be a Teacher Dress Like Students day at school, because I'll show up wearing a tall-tee and gold chains and some major saggy pants. Of course, that might freak out the clientele of North Ruralville High School, yanno?

No comments: