Friday, July 28, 2006

Don't come a-knockin', cuz I ain't answerin'

Woman in doghouse over Jehovah's Witness sign
LONDON (Reuters) - A British woman has been ordered by police to take down a sign on her garden gate which read "Our dogs are fed on Jehovah's Witnesses."

Janet Grove, who owns a terrier puppy called Rabbit, insisted the sign was a gentle joke to discourage callers at her front door.

Her late husband put the sign up more than 30 years ago when members of the church called at their house on Christmas Day.

But police were forced to act after receiving a complaint.

"We were informed by a member of the public who found the sign to be distressing, offensive and inappropriate," a police spokesman said. "Officers attended the address and the sign was voluntarily taken down."

Y'know, I know how these people feel. I find it, at the very LEAST, intrusive when someone I haven't invited over comes knocking at my front door. Maybe fifty years ago it was customary and expected to have people come calling, but today's world is different. If I want to hear from you, you'll have my cell phone number or my e-mail address, and if I want you to come to my house, I'll invite you. The religious groups who still commonly practice door-to-door recruitment may find that it's somehow soul-cleansing or good for penance purposes on the part of their adherents, but it can't be that successful in terms of numbers of converts or dollar signs.

I do NOT welcome their presence at my door; if I want to convert to some religious belief, I'll do my own research and seek it out myself. I don't need strangers' help. And I wholeheartedly support this woman's choice to discourage solicitors; I'm sorry there are such lily-livered ninnies around that can't see the humor and leave them alone.

No comments: