Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Practice, practice, practice

This Saturday, you can enjoy some smoov groovy bluez from 9AM to 10AM at Gray's Lake here in Des Moines, where Big Mike & Holdin' On Tight is playing for the National Autism Walk. Come on out and join the fun!

We had practice tonight; we've added several new songs to the lineup so you guys who've heard our contest lineup will hear some fresh stuff. I'm doing a couple of Bonnie Raitt covers instead of my Etta James one; I begged off on the "Breakin' Up Somebody's Home" song because I just couldn't see singing about such a thing at a Saturday morning venue. That one never really was one I'd've picked out; it was already chosen when I joined the band, and I just had to learn it and perform it. Eddie keeps saying it's "just the blues" and that I don't have to mean it. I'm looking at it almost like it's a drama performance, where I'm taking on a different persona for a little while.

I'm watching Letterman right now... I wish I could play like Paul Schaffer! The man can pretty much do anything, and look cool doing it. I've always thought it would be just the coolest thing EVER if I could follow Paul around for like a week or a month and spend time observing his work.

Allen Kalter kind-of creeps me out, though. I generally like redheads, but something about him frightens me. I know that Dave plays that up, of course; he's probably a really nice guy. I don't know if I really want to find out, though.

No comments: