Friday, May 19, 2006

This week's 100-word story

Here's my submission to the 100-Word Weekly Challenge competition this week. The theme? Horse racing (in honor of the running of the Preakness Stakes this weekend).

***************
"The End of Innocence"


I wandered around the facility in dazed silence. This isn't at all what I wanted it to be like, I thought.

I had been one of those horse-crazy girls all my life. I'd read every Walter Farley "Black Stallion" novel and I knew the racing world inside and out.

While I was in college, a racetrack was built in a nearby metropolis. At my first opportunity, I scurried over to enjoy my first real-live horse race. It wasn't Churchill Downs, but was the best I could do.

Imagine my surprise to be surrounded, not by magnificent Thoroughbreds, but wagering drunks.

***************

No comments: