Saturday, April 01, 2006

Did you know...



Did you know that a group of frogs is called an ARMY?
.........
.........
.........
.........
.........
And that a group of toads is called a KNOT?



Just thought you'd like to know.



Here you can listen to the vocalizations of many different types of frogs and toads. I downloaded a frog-croak ringtone for my phone a while back and used it for my voicemail alert. Dunno why, really, just thought it was cool. I've always thought frogs and toads were way cool. I remember catching teeny-tiny ones when I was little, at the lakeshore, and I remember consuming frog-legs at Grandmother's house after my dad and uncle went "gigging" down at the pond. When I was in the seventh grade, we dissected frogs and I remember frog-fat being really weird-looking, like little fat pointy orangish worms.

I've noticed in recent years that it seems like there are a lot fewer toads. When I was younger I remember there being tons of toads, and you could always count on finding one hanging around under a streetlight waiting for their evening meal to buzz by. On summer evenings there were always toads hanging around, and occasionally in the street you'd see a dried, flattened one. In fact, we showed one of those to my little sister when she was very small and it impressed her so much that she always referred to it whenever we would remind her to stay out of the street. Nowadays I almost never see toads in the evenings. At first I thought it was just because I was in Iowa and that maybe they're fewer in number here than in the south, but Mom says there are a lot fewer toads there now, too, because of fire ants.

Rotten fire ants. Wish there were a good way to eradicate that plague. They are absolutely vile creatures.

No comments: