Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Molecular Happiness


I have only recently become more aware of the potential that nanotechnology holds for humanity. It's an absolutely amazing science; I had had a misguided notion of it thanks to Star Trek and its "nanites" in the episode where Wesley Crusher accidentally lets his experimental nanites get into the ship's system. I had the notion of them as teeny little machines that get into your bloodstream and communicate and stuff... totally stupid and totally wrong.

After listening to a podcast from The Naked Scientist, combined with my recent revisit of DNA thanks to Mrs. Wignall's Biology class at NHS, I finally think I "get" what the fuss is all about.

This article, while on its face seems to chronicle a pointless and stupid waste of time, is actually representative of just what lies ahead in the field. This guy is doing DNA-level origami, and it's going to do some very, very cool stuff. I find it fascinating and I look forward to hearing more about it in the months and years to come.

No comments: