Friday, March 17, 2006

100-word stories

A while back, some bloggers started a fun exercise called "100-word stories." You write a piece that has to be exactly 100 words in length, no more, no less. Difficulty got added when a daily theme was chosen, and your 100-word story had to somehow revolve around that theme.

I never attempted it, mainly because I had more than enough to do at the time they were doing the project.

Still, I have remained fascinated with the notion of it, and I've been itching to give it a try.

=====================================
Sag paneer and lamb vindaloo, extra-spicy. The house radiated with the aroma of curry and nan bread. Once again it was a late night out for me, but there was Indian takeout waiting in the fridge. I poured a cool glass of milk to put out the inevitable fire, nuked my food, and settled into the recliner to enjoy an episode of Iron Chef.

Homard lobster; I wonder what's more special about French lobsters? Apparently Chairman Kaga thinks they're superior. He's the ultimate arbiter of quality food, right?

I wonder what he'd think about the vindaloo from the India Star?
=====================================

That was my first attempt at a 100-word story. Not much, I agree, but I think I'll give it a try more often. It's fun to try to condense something into a very short format.

No comments: