Friday, July 22, 2005

Movie review

This afternoon I rounded up my charges and headed for the movie theater to cool off and enjoy March of the Penguins.

The first thing that surprised me was that the theater room was nearly full. The second thing that surprised me was that there were almost no children... it was almost entirely populated by the AARP set.

The movie itself, really more of a documentary than a movie, is visually stunning. Some of the camera angles and shots are incomprehensible; I can't imagine the hardship endured by the passel of folks with French names who put this thing together. It's narrated by Morgan Freeman, and his gentle, matter-of-fact voice reminded me of Rex Allen's (not in actual sound, but just in the way it makes you feel).

It does not shy away from the brutality of Antarctic life, but isn't gratuitous about it either. It also doesn't pretend to "name" a particular penguin couple and their child and "follow" their story; it's about the whole population and how they live and die.

The one thing I was almost shocked at was the sensual photography of mating. They don't show penguin sex, per se, but they're very "human" in the way they employ extreme closeups, body curves, etc. I don't think my children had the slightest idea, but I found it almost distracting!

I do think that Isaac came away with a pretty matter-of-fact understanding of the life of a penguin, however. He and I had a running discussion during the film about what was happening, and he was quite curious about everything he saw, from predators to blizzards to caring for the egg/chick. Most of it was over Alice's head and I think she probably took a nap during the last half hour. Martha was silent, but later at home she commented about something she'd seen, so I believe she also paid attention to it.

Recommendation... yes and no. I actually don't think this is a kid movie. Not because of objectionable content, but because of the slow, gentle pace. It's not action-packed and hilarious. It's informative on a basic level, but taken from another perspective it's really more like high art. Cinematography, and just the fact that some people had the nerve to venture into the brutal Antarctic climate for months and months to capture the world of the Emperor penguin for the rest of us to enjoy in comfort... that, I can appreciate.

Did I like it. Absolutely. Do I think you will? [shrug]Dunno. Depends on what you need in a movie.

No comments: