Sunday, June 26, 2005

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

I can't remember if I've mentioned before just how much I love my church...? So just in case I haven't told you, let me tell you now. I actually get to make music with some incredibly awesome and humble and talented people... I get to pray with them, worship with them, and share friendship with them. Even though I haven't known them a year yet, I've already formed a deep kinship with a few of them that seems to have been forged over a lifetime. I don't know how far God intends us to all walk together, but I'm in it for as long as that is.

Even though yesterday's gig at Praisefest was shorter than we had intended, it was still fun. I even got to have a pimento-cheese sandwich for lunch at Jeff & Linda's house. I hadn't had a pimento-cheese sandwich in years, but I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid. I also got a chance to chat with Jeff about ideas for worship and church and stuff. I have been grieved that the "Worship" page on FCC's web site has NOTHING on it, so I'm going to try to rectify that if I can. Stay tuned for further developments on that front. We should at least be able to access the rotation schedule so people on the team can check to see when they're on. I'd also like to see a few pictures and a description or a vision statement, something along those lines. I hope to be able to put some of Jeff's songs up on the site as MP3s, too.

Both morning services today went great -- no broken strings or electrical problems, and the sound mix in my monitor was perfect. I don't generally complain, since I'm just so doggone grateful that I have a monitor, much less that it's an extremely nice one on the floor and not a cheap HotSpot on a stand. So if the mix of sound isn't just right, I don't fuss. Of course, Mikey (sound tech for SoulFire) has this uncanny ability to know when my mix isn't exactly right and says, "Kris, what do you need?" and then he fixes it. Sometimes all I have to do is glance at the sound booth and he automatically knows exactly what to do. I've never worked with a sound guy like him... and it's not as though any of the other sound guys aren't super-nice and accommodating and all. Tom, Slim, Steve; I get along with all of them just fine. I guess that when you spend time working with someone on a regular basis like Mikey, you just sort-of build a rapport that works.

Tonight was SoulFire's last time to play together (at church) as an intact group before Amy leaves for three months in Brazil. Next week is the July 4th holiday, and the week after that is the FunFest, so there won't be any youth group meeting. We do, however, still get to play together at the Ankeny Summerfest on July 9th in the parking lot of Ankeny E-Free Church. Hopefully our CD will be done and ready to go by then!! Amy gets back from Brazil at the end of October. We do have a few gigs already lined up while she's gone (Frank is subbing for her), but we're not scheduling any others until 2006. Hopefully we'll all get to spend a leetle extra time with our families, and we're also hoping to spend some time training some of the youth in the youth group at FCC to take over and lead their own group. After that, who knows? The sky's the limit with these guys. They're incredibly talented.

Tuesday we're all going back to the recording studio one more time to listen to the final mix and give our stamp of approval... wahoo! They're all coming over here so I can feed them supper before we go, though. I love these guys to pieces. I don't really feel like an outsider much anymore; obviously there are experiences that they've all shared together that I will never be part of, but that's okay. God brought us together in His time, for His purposes, and that's enough for me.

We're really hoping to be able to take a trip to Brazil next April as a band... now THAT will be an interesting endeavor. They've done it before, of course -- it's how they got their start as SoulFire. I've certainly never traveled with all kinds of equipment and stuff, though I absolutely LOVE traveling, especially out of the country. It's always such a cool adventure, with new twists and unexpected turns everywhere. Control-freak people wouldn't last long in my world, that's certain, because I don't get agitated by the unknown and unpredictable. Heck, every day of my life is an adventure into the unknown for me because I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing half the time anyway. It certainly makes for fun, though, because stuff happens that I could never have planned on my own. Trusting God isn't as hard for me as for some people, because I'm the first one to admit I have no idea what's going on and no control over it anyway. My personal struggles have more to do with discipline and temptation than with trust. Being easily distracted also means I'm easily tempted.

Monday morning tomorrow... and a load of stuff to get done this week. I'm flying to Big D on Friday to meet up with the rest of the fam for the big reunion.

No comments: