Sunday, April 24, 2005

Prom night

Last night was PROM and I had a blast. The kids looked wonderful in all their fancy duds, and the music (while a bit loud) was very fun. The food was fabulous as well, which surprised me a little bit because it seems unusual for the food at big events to actually taste good. The shindig was held at the Younkers Tea Room in downtown Des Moines. It's the last time the prom will be held there, because it's closing. It's a beautiful room, done up in a style similar to the Versailles Hall of Mirrors. It was a little odd to be in that elegant setting and listening to Outkast blaring through the speakers, but I had a really good time. Rick was completely uninterested in attending the affair, so my "date" was Cindy. Besides, how often do people get the chance to get all spiffed up in party clothes and go dancing? We didn't do much dancing, obviously, but we had a great time watching the kids. The whole room got up to dance when the DJ played "YMCA," of course. I thought it was a little un-cool of the DJ to pick "You Shook Me All Night Long" as the parting song of the evening, however.

The thing I hate most about getting dressed up is the issue I have with foundation garments. I do not like hosiery, and last night it did not like me either because it kept trying to crawl back down and get away. I wouldn't have even bothered with it except that 1)it was freezing cold and 2)my skirt was knee-length. Thankfully I didn't do much dancing and remained seated near the dance floor for the majority of the evening.

The after-prom party would've been fun to attend, but I knew that Sunday morning was going to come really, really early, and we were already out way later than I like to be on Saturday nights. If I hadn't had any early-morning obligations, we probably would've gone to the other party for a while.

I didn't hear of any tragedies this morning, so hopefully everyone made it home safe and sound.

No comments: