Thursday, April 21, 2005

Easy Cheese Blintzes

When I was in high school, my Government/Economics teacher was Mrs. Torment Norment. She was actually a very nice lady, albeit quite tough. I hope she doesn't surf the internet, because I'd hate to think I hurt her feelings by revealing her nickname. Anyway, I have a recipe book from my hometown of Paris, Texas, and this is one of her recipes.

2 egg yolks
1 c. sugar, divided
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
2 t. cinnamon
2 lb. loaf thin-sliced sandwich bread, crusts removed
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted

Cream egg yolks, 1/2 c. sugar, and cream cheese. Set aside. Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar. Set aside. With rolling pin, roll one slice of bread at a time until fairly flat. Spread small amount of cheese mixture over bread and roll it up, jelly-roll fashion. Continue in the same way with all the slices. Brush rolls lightly with pastry brush dipped in melted butter. Sprinkle rolls with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place on waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Freeze. Take out of freezer 30 minutes before cooking. Thaw 15 minutes, cut each in half. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Makes about 36 blintzes.

No comments: