Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Thanks

I managed to sleep through the night last night; thanks to you all who prayed for me yesterday. It was a very gentle, subdued day for the most part. My students were all kind and cooperative, the weather was splendid, and Martha only threw one fit in the living room floor.

She was miffed about something, sighed hugely and threw herself onto the floor. Yes, this is a ten year old. I calmly told her that when she was ready to cut the attitude, she could come back downstairs, but right now she'd better spend some time alone in her room. She howled and shrieked all the way up the stairs, but later was quite meek and obedient when I allowed her to come back down. She truly hates having to be alone in her room. For her, and for certain kinds of infractions, I've found that being forced to stay in her room and away from the swim of family activity is just as effective (if not more so) than spanking.

Another extremely effective method I've used is a suggestion my mother passed on to me from a friend of hers. It's called a "Think Sheet", and I make her sit down at the kitchen table and fill it out. She has to write down what she did, who needs an apology, what she'll do differently next time, and what the Bible says about what she did. It has been a very useful tool because it forces her to admit wrongdoing and think through the choices she should've made instead.

Anyway, back to yesterday -- it was a quiet and simple day, which I needed very much. God and I talked quite a lot yesterday; I pretty much spent the day sitting in my Father's lap getting hugged up close, listening to Him singing gently to me and reminding me of Who He Is and Whose I Am.

I think that someone with the capacity to experience intense joy and beauty is also capable of experiencing intense fear and sorrow. It comes with the territory. I am encouraged by the fact that, even in the midst of my night-time terror, I remembered to cry out to God for help instead of sinking into the abyss. He did help me, and continues to carry me even now. I need not fear.

No comments: