Monday, February 07, 2005

Observation Day

My second of three first-year observations is over. Today we were reading the book She Said Yes by Misty Bernall, about her daughter Cassie and the Columbine High School massacre. We talked a little bit about the murderers today... it was a little touchy, I know, but it was the next thing we were talking about, so I figured what the heck, might as well be bold. I played a song from Switchfoot's latest CD The Beautiful Letdown, entitled "This Is Your Life." It talks about yesterday being over and done with, that it's your life today -- what are you going to do with it? Are you going to obsess over something that's gone (yesterday) or will you focus on TODAY and what you're doing to make tomorrow better than yesterday?

I felt pretty good about it. It wasn't my absolutely best lesson ever, but it wasn't the worst, and the boys did a great job of behaving and cooperating by doing their work and participating. Tomorrow morning, I'll meet with her for a follow-up, to discuss what she observed and whether I'm meeting up to the standards. I'll let you know...

No comments: