Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Back to school, finally

We were supposed to be back in school yesterday, but a nasty ice storm prevented most activity yesterday morning. It was weird, really, to get up so early again after two weeks, get completely showered and dressed and be ready to go out the door, and hear on the radio that school is cancelled. Almost a disappointment, which doesn't make sense because it's always fun to have school called off, right? But after you've already been off for two weeks, it's a bummer because it's not really a break from routine.

Today we still have freezing rain, but it's not as severe as yesterday, so school must go on. Tonight we're supposed to begin getting what will eventually total 8-12 inches of snow. It's band practice night, so I'm hoping that the worst of it will hold off until we're done practicing. I would not want to miss practice. It's the highlight of my week.

Sunday morning I used a handheld digital recorder to record a new song that our worship leader has written. He hasn't played it at church yet; he wanted me to give him some input on it. I've been listening to it frequently and thinking about it. It's very nice and he sounds remarkably like James Taylor. I hadn't noticed that before, but on the recording, it's uncanny how much he sounds like him. I need to go back and refer to some of Taylor's better recordings and see what orchestration he put together... I think that a similar setup would emphasize this song's strengths best.

The main thing I miss about having to be back at school? SLEEP! I'm not by nature an early-riser, but I make myself get up super-early and get to school to have some quiet preparation time before the kids come in. On break, however, I love-love-love to sleep. Yesterday, when I was already just about to go out the door and found out that school was cancelled, I immediately got back into my pajamas and slept until 10:30. Delightful. It's soooooo nice now that the kids are old enough to get up and entertain themselves quietly and get their own breakfast. I don't know what I'd do if I had to do the baby-thing all over again. I'm just too darn lazy!

No comments: