Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Pork roast

Here's how I like to do a pork roast:

I use just a big picnic shoulder butt... it's fairly cheap and has fat in it, but that gives it good flavor. I sear the outside in a skillet, then put it into a crockpot with a bottle of wine (doesn't matter what color or variety), salt & pepper, sliced onions, and some dijon mustard. Then I cook it low and slow for about eight hours. It usually falls apart beautifully after that, and the juice gravy stuff is simply yummy.

This is usually good with mashed potatoes as well. I prefer Yukon Golds (I know, there's probably a million Potato Police who would beg to differ, but hey -- this is MY blog, and I get to say what I like), which I clean and boil with the peels on. After they're done, I let them cool for a while so I can handle them. The peels slide right off in my hands. Then I put them in the Kitchen Aid mixer with some real butter, real cream, and sometimes shredded colby-jack cheese... plus salt & pepper, of course... and mix it together carefully (not doing it for too long so they don't get sticky).

My mom sent me a recipe for a new kind of Pumpkin Pie:

PUMPKIN PIE CAKE

l (1 lb. 13 oz) can or
2 (15 oz) cans of pumpkin
1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped nuts
1 stick butter or margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend together all
ingredients except last 3. Pour into a greased and
floured 9 X 13-inch pan. Sprinkle evenly with dry
cake mix, chopped nuts, and drizzle with melted
butter(in that order). Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool
and cut into squares. This looks great cut into
squares and put on a platter.

*Be sure you grease and flour the bottom of the pan
very well. You may have to cook this longer if the
cake mix looks liquidy in the middle of the pan.
=========================================

I was thinking this should be pretty good-tasting stuff, welcomed by the throngs who will show up for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kris said...

C'mon down, Kevin! The more, the merrier. I'm about to start making it right now, in fact.

Kris said...

Congratulations, Kevin!!! That is wonderful news. I'll continue to pray for your whole family. : )