Saturday, March 06, 2010

Chaenomeles japonica

Kep'n! There be FLOWERING QUINCE here! Okay, so maybe it's Chaenomeles speciosa or Chaenomeles cathayensis. It's hard to know exactly which one this is. Probably it's the "japonica" version, because as I knew it, this shrub was always just called "Japonica" ... that's not a useful name, however, because it's just what the Latin name people say about stuff that comes from Japan, and lots of different plants have "japonica" as their species name. So in the past decade or so, I've called it "Flowering Quince." That could refer, however, to the "speciosa" one which is known as Chinese Flowering Quince.

Meh. Who cares what it's called?



It's a sure sign that Spring is REALLY on its way, when I see these shrubs erupting with their pink flowers. They're always the first, with the crocuses and daffodils. I think even the teeny little spider inside one of those blooms was happy; look how he's got his hands spread out, joyfully praising God!

Yeah, I know, he was probably just waiting for a gnat. But I can anthropomorphize with the best of 'em.

No comments: